Keep up with Armagh i

Portadown fire that saw explosion of gas cylinder being treated as ‘accidental’

NIFRS had been called to reports of rubbish and scrap on fire, with one gas cylinder exploding prior to the arrival of firefighters

Scotch Street, Portadown

A fire that resulted in the evacuation of residential properties on the outskirts of Portadown this afternoon (Monday) involved a gas cylinder explosion, NIFRS have said.

It happened in Scotch Street, with residents initially being evacuated in the Timakeel area of the village, which has since been fully re-opened to traffic.

A spokesperson for the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service confirmed they were called to the scene on the Moy Road at 11:15am this morning, with three fire appliances attending.

They had been called to reports of rubbish and scrap on fire, with one gas cylinder exploding prior to the arrival of firefighters.

One resident in the area had contacted Armagh I this morning to report a ‘loud explosion’ in the area around 11am, accompanied by a ‘large cloud of black smoke’.

Firefighters used two hose reels to extinguish the fire and the incident was dealt with by 1pm.

The cause of the fire is being treated as accidental at this time.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

NEWRY – SHOP LOCAL

More in Portadown