A man accused of assaulting a male and stealing his mobile phone has been granted bail despite concerns from police over him absconding.
The 20-year-old’s barrister told court the defendant had previously failed to answer his bail as he had spent a period of time in custody.
Gytis Kulevicius, of no fixed abode, appeared charged with burglary and causing grievous bodily harm with intent at Craigavon Magistrates’ Court, via videolink from Hydebank.
Defence barrister David McKeown made it known that the case had been listed for the purpose of a bail application.
A constable outlined that on June 10, at around 2am, police received a report from the ambulance service regarding an assault at an address on Thomas Street in Portadown.
Officers arrived to observe injuries to the alleged injured party’s head and left hand and there was also blood on the kitchen floor of the property.
The alleged injured party identified the defendant and further alleged he had also stolen his Samsung S8 mobile.
Kulevicius was subsequently arrested on June 15 and the mobile was allegedly found on his person.
During an interview, the defendant denied the allegations made against him.
Following this, Kulevicius was released on bail but failed to return to police, court was told.
The defendant resurfaced on December 8 and was rearrested for the offences.
On this occasion, Kulevicius made full admissions during an interview.
Outlining objections the constable said: “He has previously failed to answer bail. The defendant is known to the victim, he has no local family ties, no fixed abode, no fixed employment.
“He has strong connections outside the jurisdiction. It is felt he is likely to reoffend and abscond.”
Mr McKeown stated that his client had been approved for hostel accommodation and this would also need to be approved by police.
Addressing the defendant’s failure to answer bail, he said that in that period Kulevicius had received custodial sentences.
District Judge Steven Keown commented: “With strict conditions I am minded to grant bail given his limited record.”
Kulevicius was granted his own bail of £500, with conditions including; an address approved by police, a curfew between 9pm and 8am, to surrender any identity documents, no contact with the injured party, not to enter Portadown and to sign at a police station three times a week.
The case was adjourned until January 17 for an update.
A Keady man has been given a six month jail term after opting to...
A Craigavon man who stole an iPhone and 1,000 Viagra tablets will have to...
A Richhill man who was found with his trousers round his knees after been...
/ 1 day ago
Walking and cycling have become the most turned to hobbies in the most recent...
/ 1 day ago
Is Iceland on your bucket list? If so, keep it there. It is without...