Keep up with Armagh i

Jail for man who urinated in three separate cells ‘for fun’

Droplets of red paint led police to defendant’s front door after graffiti incident

A man who had to be moved to three separate cells for his own wellbeing after urinating in each of them has been sentenced to seven months in prison.

Craigavon Magistrates’ Court previously heard that in a statement taken from the 59-year-old he admitted doing it for fun.

John Benedict Loughlin, of Cliftonville Avenue, appeared charged with two counts of disorderly behaviour, six counts of criminal damage and resisting police.

These occurred during two separate incidents dating back to February 9, 2016 and December 29, 2015.

Court heard that on February 9, 2016, police were called to Portmore Street, Portadown, to reports of the defendant hanging out of a window and being abusive.

Loughlin was warned to behave by officers but did not co-operate.

Police assessed his home and found it to flooded with water seeping into the apartment downstairs causing damage.

The defendant refused to tell officers where the water mains was, and an engineer had to be called.

Loughlin was escorted by police from the property but had to be lifted from the floor into the vehicle to be taken to the station

The defendant was cautioned, and he replied by calling the officers “f******” and “b*******”.

Whilst in his cell Loughlin proceeded to spit and urinate all over the room, despite there being a toilet.

Court heard the defendant had to be moved to three fresh cells with mattresses having to be cleaned for his own wellbeing.

The other offences occurred between December 29, of 2015, and January 2, of 2016.

Court heard that a report of damage to a communal door and graffiti on a gable wall in Edward Street, Lurgan, was made to police.

Officers followed droplets of the red paint which led them to the defendant’s front door.

When interviewed, he denied any involvement.

Once more the same wall was graffitied with white paint with witnesses naming Loughlin as the culprit.

Defence barrister Conor Lunny stated the month prior to this the defendant was handed a suspended sentence for similar offences.

He said Loughlin had then moved to Belfast where he had been able to “keep his head under the parapet” for a number of years.

That was until a situation arose with his landlord which brought him to the attention of this court.

Mr Lunny stated the defendant had a “longstanding history of mental difficulties”.

“And longstanding alcohol problems,” responded District Judge Bernie Kelly.

Loughlin was sentenced to three months in prison, with a further four months being invoked from the suspended sentence he had been handed in 2016.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Lurgan