Anyone scheduled for an MOT for car or light vehicle on Tuesday should not attend.
The DVA has said it is noy satisfied as to the “effectiveness of ongoing repairs” at test centres in Northern Ireland.
It comes after further inspections of lift faults which came to light late last week.
The DVA has updated the public on the issue and has asked people to follow instructions.
Chief Executive Paul Duffy said: “To ensure the health and safety of staff and customers and as a precautionary measure, DVA has suspended all MOT testing for cars and light vehicles with immediate effect.
“Tests on heavy goods vehicles and buses will continue.
“Anyone scheduled for a car or light vehicle MOT tomorrow should not attend. All customers, except customers with four year old vehicles and taxis, will be automatically issued an MOT exemption certificate and therefore can continue to drive.
“The exemption will be recorded in the DVA system and a hard copy will arrive by post in the coming days.
“For customers with four year old vehicles and taxis, we are working to urgently find a solution to get these vehicles through MOT and will contact customers directly.
“The DVA will issue a further statement as a matter of urgency to advise these customers and those who have MOTs booked for later this week. We want to advise customers that more cancellations are very likely.
“The DVA recognises the considerable inconvenience and disruption this will cause for many people and sincerely apologises that it has been unable to rectify this situation more quickly.
“Given the urgency of this situation, we are asking the public to follow media, social media channels and nidirect for updates. Staff will also be kept fully informed by their centre managers.
“The Minister has held an urgent meeting with officials this evening in relation to this matter.”
Sign up for our weekly newsletter here.