Keep up with Armagh i

Lurgan man harassed ex-partner while riding e-scooter, court hears

The defendant came across the injured party in Sports Direct in Lurgan and began 'yelling abuse at her' when she was with her child

Craigavon Courthouse

A Lurgan man who harassed his ex-partner while riding an e-scooter has been handed a suspended sentence.

The case of Matthew McCluskey, of Brookvale Walk, was heard at Craigavon Magistrates’ Court.

The 29-year-old was charged with criminal damage, two counts of no driving licence, two counts of using a motor vehicle without insurance, harassment and persistent improper use of communications.

The court heard that on September 3 this year at around 8pm, the reporting party was in her back garden with the injured party when she heard a noise.

She checked the alleyway at the side of her house and saw the injured party’s ex-partner, the defendant, riding an e-scooter.

The injured party entered the house because she was frightened of her ex-partner. A short time later, she heard a loud bang outside but “thought nothing of it”.

Later that evening, her brother informed her that someone had damaged the rear window of her friend’s vehicle with a brick.

Both parties went out and stated they had seen the damage and took photos. They checked cameras and saw that it had been carried out by her ex-partner.

The injured party then alleged on September 4 she began to receive abusive messages from the defendant on Facebook. Due to the nature of the messages, she blocked the sender.

On the afternoon of September 5, the defendant came across the injured party in Sports Direct in Lurgan and began “yelling abuse at her” when she was with her child.

He then left on an e-scooter in the direction of Union Street. He then passed her again on Market Street, making her feel harassed.

The defendant was arrested but denied it was him.

A defence lawyer told the court that his client had entered a guilty plea to the charges, “albeit at a late stage”.

He noted that the defendant, who had spent about six weeks real-time in custody, has “no desire to have any contact whatsoever” with the injured party.

District Judge Francis Rafferty sentenced McCluskey to six months in prison, suspended for a period of two years.

He also ordered that a fine of £200 and compensation of £50 be paid within 20 weeks.

Follow all the latest court news here.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Lurgan