Keep up with Armagh i

Four bedroom detached converted Church dating back to 1767 goes on the open market

Four bedroom detached converted church

The Former Forkhill Parish Church was built in 1767 by Richard Jackson, landlord of the Forkhill Estate from 1742 to 1787. The Parish was formed on 20th December 1771 when 12 townlands were transferred from the parish of Loughgilly. On 7th May 1773 11 townlands of Killeavy were annexed to Forkhill, and the townland of Dungooley was later added after disestablishment in 1871. The parish is 20 square miles in extent. The church was closed on 23rd September 1990 and deconsecrated 12th November 1991. It has since been extensively restored as a private dwelling in keeping with the integrity of the building.

Description:

This is a unique opportunity to purchase a former church building dating back to 1767, that has been beautifully and sympathetically converted into a spacious 4 bed family home. The property has been further refurbished in 2021 by its current owners to the highest standard, whilst maintaining the original period features throughout.

Notable internal features include the original stained-glass windows and the original pulpit, whilst notable external features include the original church bell which is in working condition, and the striking gothic church doors.

The accommodation is laid over 2 floors and extends to approximately 2,490 sq. ft. Downstairs features a grand entrance hall, open plan kitchen/living area, a second kitchen/utility room, large living area/playroom, and a music studio ideal for a home office. Two staircases at either end of the property lead to 4 upstairs bedrooms (1 en-suite), a main bathroom with freestanding bath, and storage cupboard. All rooms benefit from an abundance of natural light.

Geographical information:

Newry is the fourth largest urban area in Northern Ireland and was designated a city by Queen Elizabeth II in 2002 as part of her jubilee celebrations. The city is located approximately 62km (38 miles) from Belfast and 109km (68 miles) from Dublin. The city sits in a valley, between the Mourne Mountains to the east and the Ring of Gullion to the south-west, both of which are designated Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The Cooley Mountains lie to the southeast. The Clanrye River runs through the centre of town, parallel to the Newry Canal. The city also lies at the northernmost end of Carlingford Lough, where the canal enters the sea at Victoria Locks.

The Former Forkhill Parish Church is located 15km (9 miles) southwest of Newry city in Forkhill. Forkhill is a small village and civil parish within the Ring of Gullion and is positioned between the large hills of Tievecrom to the east, and Croslieve to the west providing outstanding scenery. Whilst the property benefits from a private, rural location, it also benefits from being in walking distance to a number of amenities including a post office, convenience store, hairdressers, bars/pubs, laundrettes, and beauty salons etc. The property also sits directly adjacent to ‘The Poets’ Trail’ which consists of 3 circular walking routes extending to approximately 26 miles. Cloverhill Golf Club, Mullaghbawn Gaelic Club, Slieve Gullion Forest Park, and Moyry Castle are also located nearby.

Price
Asking price £275,000
Rates
£675.80 pa*
Stamp Duty
Calculate Stamp Duty
Typical Mortgage
£55,000 (20%) deposit (30 year term)
Style
Detached House
Bedrooms
4
Receptions
2
Bathrooms
2
Heating
Oil
Status
For sale
Size
2,490 sq. feet

Features:

  • Former church which has been beautifully and sympathetically restored
  • Accommodation extending to approximately 2,490 sq. ft
  • Rural, scenic appointed location
  • Set on a plot of approximately 0.3 acres

Additional Information:

  • 4 Bedroom Detached Converted Church dating back to 1767

View more about this property click here

To view other properties click here

Savills
Longbridge House,
Belfast, BT1 2DX

028 90267820

Most read today

More in Property