Keep up with Armagh i

Woman fined £350 following ‘drink-fuelled’ assault on police in Portadown

Asked for 16 weeks to pay, the district judge said: 'Not a chance. She's obviously got enough money to drink herself into the state that she was observed in on that occasion.'

Craigavon Magistrates Court

A woman has been fined £350 after a “drink-fuelled” assault on police in Portadown.

The case of Viktorija Straksiene, of Abercorn Park in Portadown, was heard at Craigavon Magistrates’ Court.

The 40-year-old was charged with assault on police and disorderly behaviour.

The court heard that on July 30 of last year, police observed a male and a female walking in the area of Festival Road in Portadown. Upon speaking to them, police observed that both were unsteady on their feet and “smelled strongly” of alcohol.

Due to their condition, police were assisting the parties to their nearby home address.  The defendant began shouting in the street, prompting several warnings from police.

She continued to shout and came up close to a police constable, before she was told to step back. She then swung at the constable with a “clenched fist”, but did not make contact.

The constable then pushed the defendant backwards, causing her to fall to the grass. She was then arrested and made no reply after caution.

Siún Áine Downey, defending, said that the defendant’s record is relevant, but that this was a situation that was “purely fuelled by drink”.

She said: “Ms Straksiene does not remember any of it, and that’s no surprise given how intoxicated she was.

She has asked me to apologise to both police officers involved.”

District Judge Bernie Kelly fined the defendant a sum of £150 for the disorderly behaviour and £200 for the assault on police.

When asked by the defence to allow the defendant 16 weeks to pay, District Judge Kelly said: “Not a chance. She’s obviously got enough money to drink herself into the state that she was observed in on that occasion.”

Subsequently, District Judge Kelly made a collection order for £350 and gave the defendant 12 weeks to pay.

Follow all the latest court news here. 

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Portadown