A man who is accused of throwing an item through a window, hitting his ex-partner on the head and leaving her with serious injuries, has been refused bail.
Court heard how the alleged injured party claimed that the 32-year-old had followed her home from Portadown town centre.
Fabio Noe Monteiro, of Jervis Street in Portadown, was charged with aggravated burglary inflicting grievous bodily harm at Armagh Magistrates’ Court, sitting at Newry, on Tuesday.
Appearing via videolink from police custody, the defendant confirmed that he understood the charges and was connected to the same by a constable.
Defence solicitor Philip Reid made no question to the connection and informed court an application for bail, which was opposed, was being made on his client’s behalf.
Outlining the background to the charges, the constable stated on September 13 at 4.10am, police received a report from the alleged injured party that she had been struck on the head by her ex-partner, the defendant.
Upon arrival at the alleged victim’s home, officers knocked but after no response due to concerns for her welfare entered the property.
Inside, police observed a pool of blood in the living room and a trail of blood leading to the kitchen.
It was noted by officers that a rear window had been smashed with the glass on the floor of the property indicating this had been done from the outside.
Police located the alleged injured party at a neighbouring property, however, she was not fit to give a statement as she had consumed alcohol.
Monteiro was later arrested at his home in Portadown.
In a statement taken after the alleged victim had sobered up and received medical treatment, she claimed to have bumped into the defendant in Portadown town centre earlier that evening.
She stated that Monteiro had grabbed her by the arm and she told him to get away before running off but he followed her.
The alleged injured party said she locked herself in her home and that the defendant then began kicking her front door.
After being unable to gain access, she alleged that Monteiro then went to the rear of the property.
She claimed that the defendant had thrown an object through the window which hit her on the head. She stated she then walked to the living room where she fell unconscious and the next thing she remembered was waking up in her neighbour’s home.
The alleged victim stated that a key to her rear door had gone missing after the incident.
The constable informed court that upon his arrest a key, which police believed to be that of the rear door, was found on his person.
She stated that Monteiro had changed his account several times during interview, initially saying he had not seen his ex-partner since Friday or Saturday before later stating it had been on the day of this alleged offence.
The defendant told police that he did not know what had happened but that his ex-partner had no injuries when he last saw her.
Through questioning of the constable, Mr Reid established that his client was not charged with the theft of a key or with any prior alleged assault in Portadown town centre.
He further commented that although Monteiro had changed his account of the last time he had seen the alleged injured party, he was “consistent” in denying the allegation.
Mr Reid submitted that the defendant could be bailed to an address outside Portadown, citing similar previous occasions when his client had complied with conditions.
Deputy District Judge John Connolly commented: “He had previous for common assault and theft on the same injured party. This is of a serious nature and injuries were sustained.”
Bail was refused and Monteiro was remanded in custody as the case was adjourned to Craigavon Magistrates’ Court on October 1.