Keep up with Armagh i

Man dies and woman taken to hospital following tragic south Armagh house fire

A man tragically passed away in a south Armagh house fire on Friday, Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service have confirmed.

The blaze broke out at a property on the Forkhill Road, Cloughoge shortly before 5pm.

“The thoughts and sympathies of Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service (NIFRS) are with the family and friends of a man who died,” the spokesperson said.

“On Friday, April 30 at 4.54pm, firefighters were called to reports of a fire in a detached property on Forkhill Road, Cloughoge, Newry.

“One fire appliance from Newry Fire Station and one from Newtownhamilton Fire Station attended the incident.

“The fire was well-developed when crews arrived.

“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and using jets entered the property to extinguish the fire.

“Tragically, a male casualty was discovered in the property and was pronounced dead at the scene.

“A female casualty was treated for smoke inhalation and taken to hospital.

“The fire was under control by 7.11pm, and the cause is believed to have been accidental ignition.”

Newsletter

Sign up for our weekly newsletter here.

Most read today

Latest podcasts

More in Newry