Keep up with Armagh i

Boy (13) arrested after firework placed in schoolgirl’s blazer

The incident happened at Newry bus station

Police in Newry are warning of the potential dangers of fireworks following an incident yesterday where a girl escaped injury after a firework was placed in her school blazer pocket.

On Wednesday, at Newry bus station a lit firework was placed in the school blazer of a teenage girl.

Neighbourhood Inspector Kelly Gibson said: “The firework subsequently went off and burnt a hole in her blazer. Thankfully the girl escaped injury although she was extremely shocked as a result of what can only be described as a foolish and reckless action. It is fortunate that we are not dealing with much more serious, potentially life changing injuries.

“The suspect, a 13 year old boy, was later arrested for a number of offences including possession of a firework without a licence and discharging a firework within 15 metres of a road.

“Playing with fireworks can have serious or even fatal consequences if they are not used safely. We are encouraging parents and young people to think about the consequences of their actions and learn the law.

“Police patrols will be out and about to deter anti-social behaviour across this Halloween period, as well as engage with and support local communities. If you have any concerns about antisocial behaviour in your community, you can contact us on 101 or 999 in an emergency.”

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Newry