Keep up with Armagh i

Man who chased brother with knife before biting father in frenzied attack jailed

A Co Armagh man who launched a frightening attack on his father before chasing his brother with a knife has been sentenced to seven months in prison.

Craigavon Magistrates’ Court today heard how Michael Redmond Doran’s father had barricaded himself behind a kitchen door for protection.

However, the 26-year-old defendant, of Sloan Street in Lurgan, burst down the door before beating his father, as well as inflicting a bite wound to his hand.

Doran pleaded guilty to two counts of criminal damage, three counts of threats to kill, possession of an offensive weapon, two counts of common assault and one count of disorderly behaviour.

It was heard the charges were amassed over two separate incidents.

The first of which occurred on November 3 of last year, when the defendant struck his brother on the left eye.

As his brother broke free of Doran’s hold, the defendant grabbed a knife and ran after his sibling, shouting that he was going to kill him.

The defendant’s father, who was in the house at the time, barricaded himself in the kitchen, but Doran managed to break through.

Prosecution then outlined how Doran punched his father and bit his thumb in the frenzied attack, leaving the injured party having to receive hepatitis C and tetanus shots. He was also left with grab marks on his neck and chest.

The defendant then left the house before a neighbour witnessed him throw an object at a car, smashing the rear window in the process.

She then went inside but Doran followed and shouted through her letterbox. When she returned outside she noticed the back of her car had been kicked in.

The second incident occurred on April 14, when police were called to a report of an assault to a member of staff at a Simon Community Hostel.

It was heard the defendant had punched and pushed the injured before wiping his own blood on the member of staff three times.

Doran, who had suffered injuries, was taken to the Ulster Hospital by police.

At the hospital, the defendant repeatedly used inappropriate language and refused treatment.

Doran was then taken to Musgrave station where, during an interview, he stated the fight had been started over the confiscation of alcohol.

He also admitted to wiping his blood on the injured party but denied punching him.

Defence solicitor Pat Vernon addressed the first incident, initially stating it had been a fight between brothers that had “got out of hand”.

This he claimed was in part due to Doran’s “high level of intoxication” with Mr Vernon revealing his client “can’t really remember” the whole incident.

He added that the defendant’s mother was “not in the best of health” and the distress it caused her was great.

Mr Vernon stated the “family situation was now resolved” and “it should not have got to where it got to”.

Speaking on the hostel incident Mr Vernon said that “once again drink had been taken”.

Court heard that this had caused the staff to search Doran’s room which led them to find a bottle of alcohol.

It was also heard a “tug-of-war” scenario took place in which the defendant hit the floor hitting his head.

Mr Vernon stated that Doran had come out “worse for wear” in this incident adding that the defendant’s behaviour in the hospital although verbal was “totally unacceptable”.

Court heard Doran had been in custody for that last two months as he was unable to find an address in the Lurgan area, and that he had been banned from Simon Community hostels.

District Judge Kelly was quick to point out that the second offence had been committed just one day after a probation order had been imposed.

She stated that “the offences were so serious there was only one penalty that I can impose”.

Doran was sentenced to seven months in prison.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Lurgan