Keep up with Armagh i

Garage severely damaged following serious fire in Keady

The owner suffered minor burns to his arms

A building was almost completely gutted following a blaze at a garage in Keady on Monday afternoon.

Firefighters were called to the scene of the incident on Bachelors Walk, just off the Annvale Road area of the town.

According to the Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (NIFRS), they were called to a mechanical garage which was “well alight” at 2.45pm.

Firefighters prevented the fire from spreading before completely extinguishing the flames.

Approximately 70 per cent of the building was damaged in the fire.

A NIFRS spokesperson confirmed that the owner of the property received minor burns to his arms and was treated by firefighters at the scene using a cooling gel.

He did not require an ambulance or hospital treatment.

One crew from Keady, two from Armagh and one from Newry, as well as two fire officers attended the incident.

The fire, which was deemed accidental, was put out shortly before 5.30pm.

Become a member

Support local, independent businesses by becoming an independent member.

Become a member

Most read today

More in Keady