Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council are issuing key safety information to cyclists across the Borough area – helping to ensure they and other road users stay safe and well.
Working in partnership with the Borough’s Policing and Community Partnership, the Council has developed a fact-filled leaflet, detailing ways cyclists can stay safe including:
• Choosing the right size and type of bicycle for comfort and safety
• Checking your bicycle regularly and ensuring all necessary maintenance is up to date
• Ensuring your bicycle is set-up correctly with the bell, lights and reflectors clean and in good working order
• Always be visible and wear a well-fitting cycle helmet
• Planning your route in advance of your journey
• Indicating clearly and confidently
• Being aware of your surroundings and other road users
• Avoiding distractions e.g. loud music; using your phone; eating; smoking
The leaflet has been produced and translated into a wide variety of languages including English, Lithuanian, Polish, Spanish, Romanian and Russian. It will be distributed at key locations across the Borough area and to a wide number of cycling organisations.
Tara Love – Recreation Development Officer at Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council “Cycling is a great way to get around, have fun and stay healthy. All road users, vehicle and pedestrian alike, have a duty to respect the rules in the Highway Code in order to ensure their own and the safety of others. This leaflet is the perfect chance to remind cyclists on ways to stay safe on the road, while enjoying and benefitting from this great form of transport”.
She adds “One issue which we’ve encountered is cycling on pavements – it is essential cyclists remember the law also highlights that ‘It is illegal, except where there is a marked cycle track, for anyone aged 10 and over to cycle a bicycle on a footpath’. This ensures the safety of both pedestrians and cyclists alike”.
For further information or for a copy of the leaflet, please contact Tara Love – Recreation Development Officer at Armagh City, Banbridge and Craigavon Borough Council on 028 3831 1683 or email email@example.com