Keep up with Armagh i

Man assaulted officer, damaged police car and smeared excrement on cell walls

He was refused bail and will return in two weeks to be sentenced

A man who assaulted a police officer and smeared the walls of a cell in excrement will have to spend two further weeks in custody before being sentenced.

The district judge refused to release the 26-year-old on bail whilst awaiting sentence stating: “He can go to the High Court. I still think there is a risk of further offences.”

Caolan Murray, of Molesworth Street in Cookstown, pleaded guilty to disorderly behaviour, assault on police and two counts of criminal damage at Craigavon Magistrates’ Court on Friday, where he appeared via videolink from Maghaberry.

The particulars of the offences outlined that on December 26, the defendant was disorderly on the Old Portadown Road, Lurgan.

Murray is said to have damaged a police car belonging to the PSNI. He also smeared excrement over the walls and door of a holding cell.

Defence counsel invited the judge to order a report and release the defendant on bail pending this.

District Judge Rosie Watters stated: “I still believe there is a risk of further offences. The only change in circumstances in the case is that he has pleaded guilty.”

Defence counsel said: “He has an address with his brother in Lurgan. He had previously been residing in a hostel in Cookstown.

“Mr Murray realises he needs to change his ways and seek to address his addiction issues.”

A constable stated: “It is our view that there is a likelihood of him committing further offences. He has 34 previous convictions – two for assault on police, five for criminal damage and 10 for disorderly behaviour.

“He also has previously breached bail in June of 2018.”

Defence counsel said: “I ask that he is released on bail. The cost of damage is circa £200. This will allow him the chance to make good on this and seek help, which could be part of his bail conditions.”

Distict Judge Watters stated: “The updated report will only take two weeks. I am refusing bail. He can go to the High Court. I still think there is a risk of further offences.”

Murray was remanded in custody to appear on February 14 for sentencing.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today


More in Craigavon