Keep up with Armagh i

Four-week driving ban for man who sped past police on motorway doing over 100mph

Defence said the 21-year-old was in a hurry to get home

A Portadown man who was caught overtaking police on the motorway at over 100mph has been given a four-week disqualification.

Court heard the 21-year-old, who had no previous convictions or penalty points, was in a rush to get home.

Lucas Alves Da Cruz, 21, of Harford Street, pleaded guilty to excess speed and having no MOT at Craigavon Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

Court heard that on November 4, at around 1am, police on patrol of the M1 were overtaken by a Volkswagen Jetta.

Officers followed the car for one mile detecting its average speed at around 106mph.

They spoke to the defendant and he was cautioned.

It was also discovered that the vehicle which he was driving had no MOT as this had expired on October 26.

Defence solicitor John McAtamney stated: “The vehicle Mr Da Cruz was driving passed its MOT the very next day.

“He is a 21-year-old man who lives with his parents, he has no previous driving convictions or penalty points.”

On the speeding matter, Mr McAtamney said he had been instructed that the defendant was in a hurry to get home.

Da Cruz was handed a four-week driving ban and ordered to pay a fine of £275, along with the offender’s levy of £15, within eight weeks.

 

Most read today

More in Craigavon