A RULING is expected before the week is out on whether or not a march by the Apprentice Boys of Derry in Keady will be allowed to go ahead.
The Parades Commission has the application – by the local branch – currently listed as ‘under consideration’.
But Sinn Féin Councillor Darren McNally (pictured) says he will be making a submission to the Parades Commission following the application by the Apprentice Boys of Derry to march “through a new part of Keady”.
He believes the march – scheduled for Saturday, August 10 – has the potential to heighten tensions in the South Armagh town.
Councillor McNally said the ABOD wanted to walk through a part of the town which had been contested.
“In recent years parades through Keady have been relatively peaceful and this is the way we want it to remain,” said Mr McNally.
“This year an application has been made to walk from Crossmore Road, up Kinelowen Street turning onto Patrick Street, past the chapel and finishing at Keady High School on their outward journey.
“There is no justification for this parade and no preceden; their rationale for this parade must be challenged. If allowed all that this parade will do is heighten community tensions.”
The application is due to be considered over the next two days – Tuesday and Wednesday, July 30 and 31.
“As a local representative I will be making a submission to the Parades Commission and I ask that the Apprentice Boys usual route be followed, which is Crossmore Road, Tassagh Road to Annvale Gardens,” added the councillor.