Keep up with Armagh i

Man who hit his partner over the head with a sports trophy to be sentenced next month

Armagh Courthouse

An Armagh man who hit his partner over the head with a sports trophy will have to wait until next month to learn his fate.

Court heard the 42-year-old had been granted High Court bail but had not perfected it due to the “seriousness of the offence”.

Leroy Brady, of Drumbreda Avenue, appeared charged with malicious wounding, criminal damage, common assault and possession of an offensive weapon with intent to commit an indictable offence at the city’s Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.

Court previously heard that on February 25, police were called by the ambulance service who had been contacted by Brady to attend his home in Armagh as his partner had suffered a head injury.

Officers were first to arrive and observed the alleged victim with an injury to the right of her head which was bleeding heavily, staining her clothes and hair.

The court was informed that police spoke to the defendant in the kitchen of the property and he told them: “I don’t know what I done. I hit her. I don’t know what came over me. I hit her with something.”

The alleged injured party told officers that Brady had hit her on the head with a trophy and had broken her phone.

Checks showed that the defendant was in breach of his bail conditions and he was subsequently arrested.

In the rear of the police car, Brady stated: “Wait til I tell you boys. I didn’t plan on hitting her tonight. I had a few drinks.”

The injured party was taken to Craigavon Area Hospital for treatment, receiving seven staples.

When asked about the alleged incident, she said that she had gone to the defendant’s house to watch the rugby, despite knowing it was against his bail conditions.

Together they consumed alcohol and an argument ensued between the two.

The alleged injured party claimed Brady had slapped her on the cheek and punched her on the right eye.

Following this, she left in a taxi but returned about an hour later when it is alleged that the defendant assaulted her.

Court was told that when interviewed, Brady made no comment and did not look at officers in the eye.

On Tuesday, defence solicitor Jarlaith Fields stated: “He has been granted High Court bail, he has an address approved by police but he has not taken up bail given the seriousness of the offence”.

Deputy District Judge Peter King ordered that a pre-sentence report was prepared in the case.

Brady will return to Armagh Magistrates’ on June 4 for sentencing.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today

More in Armagh