Keep up with Armagh i

Foreign national who punched man while in breach of deportation order jailed for six months

Court heard the 28-year-old had a previous similar breach for entering the UK which dated back to 2017

Armagh Magistrates Court

A Lithuanian national who punched a man whilst in breach of a deportation order has been sentenced to six months in prison.

Court heard that the 28-year-old had a previous similar breach for entering the UK which dated back to 2017.

Mantas Pilyponis, of no fixed abode, pleaded guilty to common assault and entering the UK in breach of a deportation order at Armagh Magistrates’ Court, sitting at Newry on Tuesday, via videolink from Maghaberry.

Prosecution outlined that on December 12, at around 5.30am, police received a report of an alleged assault on the Monaghan Road, Armagh.

The injured party claimed that this defendant had punched him in the face, resulting in a swollen lip.

In his statement, he said that Pilyponis had been running in and out of gardens.

The defendant was subsequently arrested and conveyed to Dungannon Custody Suite. It was later established that Pilyponis was in breach of a deportation order.

He was interviewed about the offences making no comment to all questions put to him.

Defence barrister Patrick Taggart commented: “There was a high level of alcohol taken, which does him no credit whatsoever.”

The barrister outlined that Pilyponis was a Lithuanian national, who had first entered this jurisdiction in 2010 to reside with his sister and cousin in the Newry area.

He stated that the defendant had a “difficult upbringing”, with him losing his grandmother, who had been his main carer as his parents were “chronic alcoholics”, at the age of 18.

Mr Taggart also informed court that Pilyponis had previously breached a deportation order in 2017.

Deputy District Judge Philip Mateer stated: “He is entitled to some credit for his guilty plea, although in the circumstances he may have had no option…certainly with regards to the breach of a deportation order and he has one previous for being in the UK in breach of such an order.”

Pilyponis was sentenced to a total of six months immediate custody.

Sign Up To Our Newsletter

Most read today


More in Armagh