Keep up with Armagh i

Armagh man awaits sentence on two charges of assaulting a minor

Six charges of sexual assault against defendant were withdrawn

Armagh Courthouse

An Armagh man will be sentenced next month on two charges of assaulting a person under the age of 18.

The 60-year-old had been facing charges relating to sexual assault but these were subsequently withdrawn.

Eugene Paul Geraghty, of Mellifont Park, pleaded guilty to two counts of common assault at a special sitting of the City’s Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.

Court heard these occurred on May 28 and 29, 2017, involving the same injured party, who was under 18 at the time.

The defendant had originally faced six counts of sexual assault and one of sexual communication with a child but these were withdrawn and the two common assault charges brought.

Prosecution said that the “same factual basis” would remain moving forward.

Deputy District Judge Peter King stated: “Given the nature of this case, I feel that a pre-sentence report will be required.”

Defence barrister Patrick Taggart said there was a medical report which he wanted to be brought before the court on the next occasion.

Deputy District Judge King said he was mindful that he was seized of this case and asked that it was listed on January 29, of next year, when a date for sentencing could be set.

Newsletter

Sign up for our weekly newsletter here.

Most read today

Latest podcasts

More in Armagh